Re: Backup strategy

From: William Lee <william.lee_at_cwolhk.com>
Date: 1995/06/05

Hi,

>From: ernestyik_at_cuhk.hk (Ernest Yik)
>We are now planning for a backup strategy for our Oracle 7.1 running on
>HP-UX 9.04. Our database has a very stable tablespace and table
>structure, there will be very few or no modifications to tablespaces.
>The data will be updated very frequently.

>Am I right to think like this? Make a full backup one day, and then
>we'll only have to backup the data with export. When anything happens
>with the data we can import them back, and if it's so bad that the
>tablespaces are corrupted or the HD crashed then we will restore the
>full backup and import the data. So we don't have to do other online
>backup etc. Any pitfalls with this strategy? Thanks for any info.

If the activity is not so high, I suggest you to have a weekly full backup of the whole database image with the archive log mode turned on.

DB export is not good for media recovery because of the speed.

William.
william.lee_at_cwolhk.com
___
* UniQWK #5138* Received on Mon Jun 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message