Re: What can cause an ORA-03113 error?

From: Don Beusee <dbeusee_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/06/04

This error means the oracle shadow has died. Most likely your statement caused the oracle kernel to get a SEGV. There should be a core file somewhere on the server, in the directory specified by core_dump_dest, or ?/dbs if that is not defined in your init.ora file (? = $ORACLE_HOME).

Also, there should be a trace file from that process in the trace directory, specified by user_dump_dest (or ?/rdbms/log if not defined in your init.ora file).

Have the trace file ready and call Oracle's World-Wide Support so that they can file a bug report, or if there is already a patch for the problem, they might be able to get it to you (depending on your support contract, etc).

Regards,
Don Beusee, Principal DBA, Oracle HQ Data Center.