Re: 2-Phase commit or replication?

From: GAG <gag_at_objectworks.com>
Date: 1995/06/01

In article <3qij5s$mcm_at_popeye.jsc.nasa.gov>, hilfinge_at_rose.rsoc.rockwell.com (Donita Hilfinger) says:

>In article 6e8_at_pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk, Karl Zdero <karlz@pst.bt.co.uk> writes:
>> What about using the Parallel Server?
>>

>My understanding of Parallel Server is that the datafiles are located in one location,
>but referenced from different locations with their own set of redo logs. My problem
>with Parallel Server is 'what if the machine with the data files goes down?'. Or is
>my understanding of Parallel Server wrong.
>
>Donita

With Parallel Server.all tablespace datafiles and control files are shared amoungst instances. Multiple instances have the DB mounted and open.

With the exception of nCube each instance has its own set of online redo and archive logs known as a "thread of redo". Each instance must be able to see the other instances redos and archives ...

Each instance will also have its own init.ora.

For highest availability all files should sit under a protected disk system like RAID5.

Its really great technology !

Regards
GAG

Gerry A. Gilchrist ( GAG )			ObjectWorks Inc.
						800, 100-4th Avenue S.W.
						Calgary, Alberta
						Canada T2P 3N2
Tel: (403)237-7333