Re: Three-Tier Client Server

From: Richard G Ramirez <ramirez_at_iastate.edu>
Date: 1995/06/01

|> Oracle calls this either a "three tier client/server environment",
|> "client/server/server", or more usually a "co-operative server
|> environment".

|> A client can simply connect to one database and that database can then
|> connect to anything else required through the use of database links,
|> views, synonyms, etc. Oracle's Transparent Gateways are all built on
|> this type of an architecture. Actually, pretty much anything you do with
|> Oracle supports this type of connectivity nicely.

Can someone provide specific examples? I understand the concept but I don't know how to translate it into application code.

From the above message I understand an implementation using

      1 - Powerbuilder on the client (or Visual Basic or Access)
      2 - an Oracle server with procedures and perhaps some triggers,
          it also stores user passwords
      3 - one or more Oracle servers having the actual databases,
          possibly containing procedures and triggers that are local
          to that database

An alternative is to use C++ (or another language) in 2 as the intermediate step. Of course this alternative is much harder.

Please clarify for me.

Thanks

--
Richard G. Ramirez, Ph. D.