Re: 2-Phase commit or replication?

From: GAG <gag_at_objectworks.com>
Date: 1995/05/30

In article <3qfd01$142_at_tst.hk.super.net>, myung_at_hk.super.net (Mr Michael Wai Kee Yung) says:

>Dear all, my company is running a 40-50 Gigabyte database using Oracle 7.
>We're planning to set up a secondary site as the backup of our business
>database. Could you all experts give me a clue what's the best solution
>to implement this? I mean what's the pros and cons to use 2PC or
>replication? Is 2PC a high performance penalty option? Would appreciate
>if you can share with me your experience. Many thanks in advance.
>
> +--- vwwwwwv ---------+---------------------------------+
> | yyyywww | Born To Be Wired ... |
> ---| q-O-O-p Michael | |---
> \ | | L | Yung | Internet : myung_at_hk.super.net | /
> \ | ` `-' ' | CompuServe : 100314,345 | /
> / | `---' | | \
> / +-oOOo/ \oOOo-------+---------------------------------+ \
> ----+ +----

My understanding is that replication was not designed to serve as a hot backup site support mechanism. There are several pratical issues involved... not least of which is that when your primary site crashes the replca site will not contain the data since the last refresh interval....

With some work and sweat you probably can make replication serve the purpose of hot backup support but there are better ways to do it if your goal is truly "set up a secondary site as the backup of our business database".

Regards
GAG

Gerry A. Gilchrist ( GAG )			ObjectWorks Inc.
						800, 100-4th Avenue S.W.
						Calgary, Alberta
						Canada T2P 3N2
Tel: (403)237-7333