Re: Snapshots crossing Multiple Platforms

From: Peter Robson <e_pgr_at_va.nmh.ac.uk>
Date: 1995/05/29

stromble_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca (Sue Trombley) wrote:

> Has anyone successfully implemented a snapshot of an Oracle database across
> more than 1 platform ?
>
> eg) Master database resides on a Sun Solaris box and snapshot of that database
> on an IBM AIX or Windows NT box
>
> Any info on this would be much appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sue Trombley

Yes, we have been doing this for a few years. Four Oracle instances, two on VAX/VMS, two on SUN/Unix. Using LAN and WAN (300+ miles). VAX and SUN at each site. Our requirement is to maintain database currency between all four on a 24-hour basis. No one instance a master, but any can be a master site, distributing to the other three (in any combination).

Not exactly a snapshot, but probably what you are enquiring about. Updates consist of individual rows, identified by time stamping. Proven very reliable, so long as CBS ftp doesn't crash!

Come back for more if you require...

Peter Robson
DBA, British Geological Survey,
Edinburgh
e_pgr_at_va.nmh.ac.uk Received on Mon May 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message