Re: Connecting PowerBuilder 4.0 to Personal Oracle 7.1

From: Joel Cruz <emcruz_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/05/29

In <3piaep$h1o_at_saturn.ball.com> dschrade_at_ball.com (Dave Schrader) writes:

>Is it possible to connect PB 4.0 Desktop to Personal Oracle 7.1
>via ODBC? If you've done it, I'd appreciate some tips.
>
>TIA,
>
>dws

Hi there Dave,

 It is possible to connect to PO7 with PB4.0, although for response time reasons, I would only suggest it be used on a reasonably fast machine 486DX or better yet a Pentium (with at least 20MB of RAM too).

 To connect to the sample database in PO7,

  1. Startup the database from PO7 (you may use SQLDBA or DBManager)
  2. From PB4.0, in preferences, set DBMS to OR7, userid to 'system', password to 'manager' (you may want to create a profile later on)
  3. Select the database painter, the Oracle connection prompt will come up. On connect string, leave it blank, if PO7 locally installed, otherwise type in your network connect string

 Make sure that :
  DOS path points to the Oracle home directory ie, orawin\bin and also   orawin\dbs
  Also set the DOS config parm to CONFIG=C:\windows\oracle.ini in   your autoexec.bat

  I hope this works for you. If you have any other questions let me   know.

  Regards.

  JOEL CRUZ

  • QUANTUM MATRIX SYSTEMS *
  • qmtrx_at_aol.com *
  • *
  • Contract Programming . Network Integration . Training *
  • *
  • AS/400 . CLIENT/SERVER . CONNECTIVITY * *RPG III/400 . COBOL . VISUAL BASIC . POWERBUILDER . ORACLE . SYBASE*