OCI problem w/ V7.1.4

From: Jon Finke <finkej_at_ts.its.rpi.edu>
Date: 1995/05/28

I am in the process of converting a locally developed that sits on top of the OCI routines from version 6 to version 7. Unfortunately, I have run into a snag that I have been unable to get around. Every test run results in getting an "ORA-01002: fetch out of sequence" error.

The manual claims that this is the result of calling "ofetch" before oparse/oexec, or running out of things to fetch. Yet, I am calling oopen, oparse, oexec, (odesc, odefin) all without error. As a control case, I also built the cdemo2 program, and it appears to be calling the same routines, yet it is successful.

Note: In the "broken" program, I am currently calling odsc in a loop

      for each column in the query, and then calling odefin, while in the
      "working" program, I call odescr/odefin, odesc/odefin for each column.
      In both cases, the calls to odefin seem reasonable.

Both programs are attempting the query "select user,uid from dual".

Has anyone ever seen any subtle problems with OCI that resulted in the ORA-01002 error code, and have suggestions as to what I should check next?

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Jon Finke                           finkej_at_rpi.edu
Senior Network Systems Engineer     http://www.rpi.edu/~finkej