Re: sql*reports vs oracle*reports

From: Alex Long <paladin_at_along.dialix.oz.au>
Date: 1995/05/27

In article <D93qDt.MzD_at_gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com>, Mark W. Aurit (maurit_at_world.nad.northrop.com) writes:
>For our Oracle 6 application, we created some SQL*Report "rpt"
>files that were run from a SQL*Forms menu. The reports, which
>were quite large, were run in batch and output to a file,
>which ... well, Ill leave out the ugly details.
>
>Anyhow, we are now installing a similar Oracle 7 application,
>and are now wondering if we shouldnt use Oracle*Reports.
>The product brochure is worthless, and no one here knows.
>Is Oracle*Reports a strictly interactive product? Can it
>be run in batch? Does it provide all the functionality
>of the SQL*Reports tool?
>
>Any help very appreciated.
>
>Mark Aurit
>maurit_at_world.nad.northrop.com
>--
>Mark Aurit
>Finance Client/Server Systems
>Northrop Grumman Data Systems (West)
>maurit_at_world.nad.northrop.com
Greetigs Mark.

RW2 can be run in batch or background mode.

As repeating the functionality of RPT, aty first glance I would say no, Unless.... you writ compex PL/SQL commands or libraries. The utility is basically designed to read data, format it, and repsent it in (sometimes) complex and convoluted forms. YOu can design some really fancy forms with graphics that RPT could not.

If you need to manipulate data, update tables, etc. hen you will have to resort to PL/SQL scripts or libraries.

Regards,
Alex Long

--
                          ,     \    /      ,
                         / \    )\__/(     / \
                        /   \  (_\  /_)   /   \
 ______________________/_____\__\_at_  @/___/_____\________________
|paladin.along.dialix.oz.au 					|
|Alex Long 		   					|
|Adelaide, South Australia 					|
|_______________________________________________________________|
|Billy, in one of his nice new sashes,         			|
|Fell in the fire and was burnt to ashes;    			|
|Now, although the rom grows chilly,           			|
|I haven't the heart to poke poor Billy.          Harry Graham. |

_