Re: Version 7.1.6 & SQLNET 2.3

From: Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/05/27

rgood94231_at_aol.com (RGood94231) writes:
|> I beleive that Very Large Memory(VLM) -- SGA's > 1Gb -- and CPU
|> 'failover' -- fault tolerant instances -- are the principle changes in
|> Oracle 7.1.6.
|>
|> As for SQL*Net 2.3 -- isn't that encrypted passwords over the net?

Actually I missed the original message on this thread. The answer will depend on what version you are coming from. 7.1 in itself adds the ability to do things in parallel (parallel query, parallel index create, parallel load, etc.). You'd probably have to get your hands on 7.1 Server addendum to get a good feel of what else is new. The README files also contain some information (but of course, this means installing the software somewhere first). The big thing in 7.1.6 in particular is the addition of the Symmetric Replication package. And bug fixes.

Support for VLM is specific to DEC Alpha for the moment. Oracle's pattern is to take advantage of new stuff like 64-bit architectures which allow processes to have large address spaces and machines to have lots of physical memory among other things.

Support for running Parallel Server on Unix clusters has been expanding as the various hardware vendors begin to support having clustered nodes and a Distributed Lock Manager (DLM). I assume that can be called CPU failover.

SQL*Net 2.3 is not shipping yet. That version will probably be bundled with Oracle 7.3. SQL*Net 2.1.X will be bundled with 7.1.6. It will include Oracle password encryption over the network. It also includes Oracle Names, a way to centralizing where Oracle databases can be found over the network. SQL*Net 2.1 also has an optional add-on product called Secure Network Services that will provide encryption of the whole SQL*Net data stream.

I've likely left out many things, but hopefully that gives some idea of what's available.

Roderick Manalac
Oracle Corporation Received on Sat May 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message