Re: Currency sign ($) in SQL*Plus

From: <James>
Date: 1995/05/24

In article <175_at_along.dialix.oz.au> paladin_at_along.dialix.oz.au (Alex Long) writes:
>Greetings,
>
>I have a puzzle that I need help with.
>
>When formatting a COLUMN statement (In SQL*Plus), I use the "$" sign to
>indicate a currency column, and it is pre-pended to the returned column.
>
>A client requires Japanese currency output and I tried to format the
>column with the Yen sign (ASCII 157) it didn't work.
>
>Is the format character dependant on the NLS setting? What symbol is
>used in Japan, UK, etc.
>
>After some years working with Oracle, this is the first time I came across
>this problem.
>
>Thank you in advance,
>Alex Long

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do have a suggestion. In your COLUMN statement use character format, Ax. Concatinate the character you want to you currency column. ie. CHR (157) || Column Alias,
You probably won't be able to see the special character on the screen (that is dependant upon your screen/terminal mode), but you should be able to print the column with the special character.

James Richard (JRICHARD_at_TUNS.CA)
"No Assembler Required!" Received on Wed May 24 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message