Re: Rules vs. Cost, Oracle 7 and PS Financials

From: Michael Sevy <sevy_michael_at_tandem.com>
Date: 1995/05/24

In article <3prh95$hse_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com> bharter_at_aol.com (BHARTER) writes:
>From: bharter_at_aol.com (BHARTER)
>Subject: Rules vs. Cost, Oracle 7 and PS Financials
>Date: 22 May 1995 22:28:53 -0400

>Does anyone have any information / white papers, etc. on how to choose
>between rule based and cost based optimization for an Oracle 7.1 database.
> We are trying to determine which direction to go with our database to
>support PeopleSoft Financials.

 [ stuff edited out ... ]

>Any comments would be welcome.

PeopleSoft has a paper called "PeopleSoft Performance Tuning - A Guide to PeopleSoft Performance Tuning across Platforms". A co-worker got it at the PeopleSoft Conference last year (I also just received a copy of the "PeopleSoft System Administration Guide for Oracle" - December 1994 - from my account rep. Appendices A & B appear to be the same paper.)

Anyway, this paper talks about Choose (Cost) vs. Rule based optimization. It states in there:

  The Oracle7 database can run with a version 6 compatible rule based   optimizer ... . As of Oracle7 version 7.0.15, we have found that the rule   based optimizer out performs the cost based optimizer for PeopleSoft HRMS   batch jobs. We believe this will change in the future. ...

  Applications that have been tuned to take advantage of Oracle version 6   (such as HRMS) should continue to use the RULE base optimizer option until   they have been fully tested and tuned with the CHOOSE option.

Unfortunately, it seems that all references to PeopleSoft's applications are in conjunction with the HRMS module with no specific references to Financials.

Hope this helps,

Michael Received on Wed May 24 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message