Re: Updating Foreign Keys in Child Tables (ON DELETE CASCADE)

From: Ammon W.H. Lee <whlee_at_hk.super.net>
Date: 1995/05/24

> > Kevin Kinney <kvkinne_at_envc.sandia.gov> writes:
> > I am trying to update a primary key in one table which flows down into many other
> > tables, sometimes two or three levels. Is there a command similiar to ON DELETE
> > CASCADE, maybe called ON UPDATE CASCADE, which will let me update the parent table
> > and then cascade those changes to the child tables. Or is there a way to handle this
> > with some SQL.

This feature has been implemented in MS Access 2.0 and I found it to be very useful. When I encounter the same situation in Oracle 7, I just wonder why they don't add this feature. I think using dummy system-maintained 'non-intelligent' key is not a good way (Users hate to see some cryptic keys!). I've asked Oracle and they said that many customers have asked about it and they've put it on the wish list that may appear in futuer release

Ammon Received on Wed May 24 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message