Tablespace Guidelines?

From: <flemir_at_tdbank.ca>
Date: 1995/05/23

Are there any guidelines concerning manageable tablespace sizes and when tables and indexes should be put in their own tablespace? I read that high-volume, high-activity files should be put in their own tablespaces. However, what about large read-only tables which are refreshed on a monthly basis? If there is a media problem, we wouldn't want the whole database to be unavailable while restoring a large table. Out of 35 tables, we have 8 tables which have more than 10 million rows. I am considering putting them in their own tablespaces. Does this seem reasonable? I am also thinking of putting their respective indexes into separate tablespaces. What should I consider when making this decision.

We are in the process of moving to Oracle 7.1.4 and will be considering using "Read-Only" tablespaces.

-
Rosemary Fleming
Database Administration
Toronto Dominion Bank
(416) 982-8539

The opinions expressed is not necessarily the ones of my employer     Received on Tue May 23 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message