Rules vs. Cost, Oracle 7 and PS Financials

From: BHARTER <bharter_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/05/22

Does anyone have any information / white papers, etc. on how to choose between rule based and cost based optimization for an Oracle 7.1 database.  We are trying to determine which direction to go with our database to support PeopleSoft Financials.

Several things impact our approach:

	250 users (approx. 100 concurrent at peak time)
	High volume of transactions (1.5 million GL transactions/month)
	Extensive use of PS/nVision reporting tool
	PeopleSoft dynamically creates SQL which is not optimized for any
particular database.
	We are also developing a custom code combination checking module
for high volume combo checking environment.
	Large number of SQR reports are being developed.

Will code development for custom and SQR development be different assuming a cost or rule based optimization approach.

We are assuming that it would be better to optimize toward our custom and SQR development, rather than the package since PeopleSoft does not optimize for any particular database. Is this a good assumption?

Any comments would be welcome. Received on Mon May 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message