Re: Three-Tier Client Server

From: Jgreene <jgreene_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/05/20

In article <1995May18.144208.4496_at_nosc.mil>, mvergara_at_sctcorp.com (Michael P. Vergara) says:

>My boss asked me today about this. I have never heard of 'Three-Tier
>Client/Server' architecture. Am I that far out of it? Can anyone
>shed some light on this topic?

There is also an Article in the May 29 Information Week that discusses this subject. I have run into a few of these environments. Basically, you take the two-tier architecture that you would see in Powerbuilder-Oracle environments (client does the display and much of the processing, while the server provides RDBMS services) and add additional servers to take some of the thinking away from the client and some of the thinking away from the database server. What you have left is a client that is resonsible for input, graphics, output, comminucations and some applicaitons processing. The appliecations server does a lot of the rules processing and coordinating services. Finally the data servers store the data and allow you to retrieve it. There may be vendors who disagree with my synopsis (i.e. they designed their products differently), but that is my quick and dirty understanding of the subject. Hope it helps. Received on Sat May 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message