Re: Using Personal Oracle 7 for Windows with PowerBuilder

From: kuilboer jean-pierre <kuilboer_at_umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
Date: 1995/05/20

james.lawrence_at_EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV wrote:

>In article <3orih3$67s_at_guillotine.mtl.dmr.ca> Gilles Turcotte <Gilles.Turcotte_at_dmr.ca> writes:
>>From: Gilles Turcotte <Gilles.Turcotte_at_dmr.ca>
>>Subject: Using Personal Oracle 7 for Windows with PowerBuilder
>>Date: 10 May 1995 23:33:55 GMT

>>Hello everybody,

>> I am a new user of Oracle. For my project, we decide to use
>>the new Personal Oracle 7 for Windows on a stand alone PC. We are now
>>looking for a development tool. I want a tool to develop in the MS Windows
>>environment.

>> What do you thing about using PowerBuilder 4 for development
>>tool?

>Powerbuilder is owned by Sybase and was originally written to use with Sybase.

>> Can you give me your feedback about using a Windows development
>>tool with Personal Oracle 7 for Windows.

>>Thank You
>>Gilles Turcotte :-)
>>DMR Group Inc.
>>Montreal

Even if Powerbuilder is currently owned by Sybase, the original question had nothing to do with this. Powerbuilder was developed when Powerbuilder was an independant company. Their original connectivity was with Watcom SQL... and a bunch of other database with either Native connection or through ODBC. It is still the orientation of the product with release 4. Considering the Oracle market share there is no doubt that Powersoft [even as a subsidiary of Sybase] will keep on improving the connectivity with Oracle product.

P.S. just my two cents...
Jean_pierre Kuilboer
MSIS DEPT. UMASS-Boston Received on Sat May 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message