Re: Update Oracle passwords through MS Access

From: Mahesh Vallampati <m0v5533_at_tam2000.tamu.edu>
Date: 1995/05/18

In article <3pdrdg$rvc_at_news.roadnet.ups.com>, <adm1jjm_at_is.ups.com> wrote:
>> In article <3p8qn3$qku_at_news.pacifier.com>,
>> Rich Rankin <pukybear_at_pacifier.com> wrote:
>> >Is there a way for users to update their Oracle password in an Access
>> >application?
>>
>> Mahesh Vallampati's reply
>> The answer is no. Why? MS-ACCESS does not support this language construct.
>
>You can change a users password from with MS Access by using a SQL Passthrough query, and
>just entering the alter user statement. This works well, and I have been using it for quite a while.
>
>Hope this info help.
>John
Hie folks
I must apologize for the above error. I must have mentioned MS-ACCESS 1.1. does not support the original question. (i.e altering password from MS-ACCESS). John's suggestion was to use the query option in MS-ACCESS version 2.0. The query menu has the "SQL-SPECIFIC" selection and which has a sub selection menu which contains "select pass_through". When this is chosen a text query window opens and one can type in "alter table foo identified by foo" and pass it onto the server over ODBC and SQL*Net and accomplish the needful. I thank John for pointing the error. He was kind enough to mail me the solution. Thanks
Mahesh Vallampati

Home:				   Office:
PH : 409 846 3794 (H)		|  409 862 1070 (O)
e-mail address  : vallampa_at_ee.tamu.edu
WWW 		: http://tam2000.tamu.edu/~m0v5533/
Lab 		: 409 847 8609

// In the Beginning there was Codd .... Received on Thu May 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message