RE: PLATINUM technology TSREORG

From: farber_at_platinum.com <74431.2141_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1995/05/18

Howie,
 Reposting message: PART 1

     To provide a foundation for understanding the problem with TSreorg's occasional inablilty to fully reorg free space in ORACLE 7.1.X, I will first explain the reorg process: Tsreorg unloads all tables into flat files and then drops all objects form the tablespace. Next, it loads all of the objects back in. Dropping the objects should cause the free space to become recoalesed into one piece -- and it does with ORACLE 7.0.x. But with 7.1, ORACLE decided to change the frequency with such a frequent basis that by the time we drop the tablespace objects and begin reloading them, the free space is already recoalesed. In 7.1 the "smon" process recoaleses much less frequently -- anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes (this is not tunable and ORACLE support could not tell us the exact frequency).

Richard Headley
V.P. Dimeric Development Lab
PLATINUM technology, inc        Received on Thu May 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message