Re: Using Personal Oracle 7 for Windows with PowerBuilder

From: Ian Abramson <ai178_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1995/05/18

Manoj DAS (manoj_at_msd.netkonect.co.uk) writes:
> Gilles Turcotte <Gilles.Turcotte_at_dmr.ca> wrote:
>
> You must have a look at Oracle Power Objects. You can download it from
> the Oracle web site. PowerBuilder is an excellent product, but you
> now have a choice.
>
> In my opinion Power Objects might be a bit better option. This is
> because I feel PowerObjects would tie in with Oracle7 nicely. Some of
> the features are really great, e.g. drag and drop master-detail forms,
> etc.
>
> The only downside is that Power Objects requires higher a
> specification PC and clients would need the Power Object runtime.
> The product is in beta testing now but will soon be released
> commercially. In the meantime you could try the stuff for free for 90
> days (not much luck with Power Builder in this matter...)
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Manoj :-)
> Manoj DAS
> E-Mail: manoj_at_msd.netkonect.co.uk
> das1551j_at_uel.ac.uk

        It's nice to see that the advertising that Oracle is doing for Power Objects is paying off. After seeing Power Objects and watching and Oracle VP do a demo with the product, it seems to me that people should start wondering what the developers where thinking about when designing the product.

        Out of the products out there that allow for GUI development, PowerObjects, is a long way away from being a production product, and probably the least user friendly product available today.

        During the Oracle VP's demo, he apologized that the screen wasn't larger, since there was some many windows open simultaneously. BTW the screen was one of those large projection screens. I think that is you can get a screen that is 29in and has the resolution out the yin-yang then maybe this product would be useful.

        When PO reaches the maturity of a PowerBuilder or even Forms 4, then I will consider this product.

        If you want to develop and application that is going to be used by more than one user, then PO will not meet needs, you might as well use MS Access, at least the product is stable and intuitive.

        Sorry Oracle, you've come a long way, but you better hurry up or PO may be renamed to Oracle Objects 2000, since that will be the year that it is finally released.

Ian

Ian Abramson				||   I think I am losing touch    |
ai178_at_freenet.carleton.ca (Ottawa, ON)	||   with reality.                |