Re: How to recognise Front-End tool in the View?

From: Torsten FASSIAN <Torsten.Fassian_at_eurostat.cec.be>
Date: 1995/05/17

In article <3p1mh8$lno_at_lantana.singnet.com.sg>,

   setiawan_at_singnet.com.sg (Eddy Setiawan) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a based table TABLE1_BASED, and I create a view called TABLE1.
>And then I grant access to the view TABLE1 to user JOHN.
>
>Is it possible to limit JOHN's access to the data in TABLE1 only when
>he used in-house developed applications (using: PowerBuilder,
>SQLWindows, Oracle*Form, etc), and not when he login via SQL*Plus or
>Data Browser?
>
>What I'm trying to achieve is that when he login using SQL*Plus or
>Data Browser, he can't *see* any data in TABLE1. But when he login
>using in-house applications, he can see the data. The reason for this
>is because our in-house applications will *control* the data to be
>displayed, but we also need to have Data Browser for ad-hoc queries.
>
>Thanks in advance. Any advise or solutions are welcomed.
>
>Regards,

Have a look at the v$session table.
This table contains a column 'Program' which gives you the program that a session uses.
You could join your views with this view and thus limit the access to certain applications.
Usually v$session can only be accessed by sys and system users so you need to grant access to this view to the other users as well.

Hope this helps.

Torsten FASSIAN
ORACLE DBA
EUROSTAT (European Commission) Received on Wed May 17 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message