How to recognise Front-End tool in the View?

From: Eddy Setiawan <setiawan_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: 1995/05/13

Hi,

I have a based table TABLE1_BASED, and I create a view called TABLE1. And then I grant access to the view TABLE1 to user JOHN.

Is it possible to limit JOHN's access to the data in TABLE1 only when he used in-house developed applications (using: PowerBuilder, SQLWindows, Oracle*Form, etc), and not when he login via SQL*Plus or Data Browser?

What I'm trying to achieve is that when he login using SQL*Plus or Data Browser, he can't *see* any data in TABLE1. But when he login using in-house applications, he can see the data. The reason for this is because our in-house applications will *control* the data to be displayed, but we also need to have Data Browser for ad-hoc queries.

Thanks in advance. Any advise or solutions are welcomed.

Regards,

--
Eddy Setiawan, DBA
National Computer Board of Singapore (NCB)