Database for support organization?

From: Rick Casares <rickc_at_sgi.com>
Date: 1995/05/13

I need some suggestions on a client/server database that would be suitable for a support organization. I'm wondering if there is a combination of Oracle and other products that might get me what I need. Here are some requirements and wish list items.

  • The front end should be easily configurable and user friendly.
  • Reporting capabilities should be robust.
  • The database should be able to handle 15,000-20,000 records effortlessly. I don't want to be waiting for more than a few seconds on my front end when I do a select where one column equals 'X'.
  • This database should act more like a knowledge base than a work order tracking system. I'm less concerned about bells and whistles when calls pass from state to state than I am about having the database provide answers to frequently asked questions.
  • My supreme wish list item is to have the database querying in the background while the user types in the "question" or "problem". Ideally, I would like to have the user get some set of suggestion records to solve the problem based on what sentence was typed in.

I was told that Oracle themselves in their customer support organization use a product like the one I'm questing for.

If you have any experience with database products that might suit my needs, please send me some email. I'd like to hear successes and failures. Received on Sat May 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message