Re: Forms 4.5 questions - help and text widths

From: Dana Ludwig <MHFT59A_at_prodigy.com>
Date: 1995/05/13

1) Does anyone know if it is possible to implement floating help messages

   i.e. when the cursor is positioned above a button on the button bar    a small text message appears describing the functionality. If it's    in the documentation, I haven't found it yet. <<<

There is a method described in the release notes (a file on the distribution CD ROM) but we haven't had any luck getting that to work. An almost equally nice (I think better) solution is to code the two triggers that fire when you pass over the button (I think 'when-enter' and 'when-leave') to do the following:
- when enter: clear the message, then print the help text in the message box
- when leave: clear the message again.
The effect was really nice for us.

2) When does a text item specified as 1 char wide display perfectly well

   in design mode, but then expand to 2 or 3 chars in runtime. Is the    bug in Forms or the programmer?
<<<

I believe this is a 'feature' that was corrected in a just-being-released version of F4.5. At least, that is how it was explained to me. I haven't yet received the update to F4.5, so I don't know whether the 'feature' was fixed properly or not. Therefore, just ignore it for now, order your update, and hope it goes away then. Received on Sat May 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message