Re: Rollback Segment

From: Michael Huneycutt <mah_at_reaper.mitre.org>
Date: 1995/05/12

Phuong Quach (quach_at_ext423.artecon.com) wrote:
: Hi all,
: Thanks in advance for all answers for the below questions:
:
: When do I need to create rollback segment? (using CREATE ROLLBACK..)
: When do I need to add more datafiles to the rollback tablespace (using ALTER TABLESPACE)?
  You would only need to add a datafile if when users running large updates   receive the stating that oracle failed to allocate extent of size #### in   tablespace {rollback tablespace name}. This could be either because your   extent sizes do not fit evenly in the tablespace or you truely have run   out of space. You can query v$rollstat to see how you rollback segments   are doing.
: In what circumstances the rollback segment can slow down the performance?
  Doing the query above can help in tracking performance. Basically for   large update and such, the rollback segment and extent size should be large.   An example I had a customer who was doing massive update to a 120GB table   and the process was taking 3 hours. Their initial and next extent size   on their large rollback segment was 1MB or less. I changed it to 10MB and   all of their process were 45% faster. That above process started finishing   in 50 minutes. Figure that the more times the rollback segment has to   extent itself the slower the process.

: quach_at_artecon.com