Re: Granularity of ORACLE's date/time

From: Jonathan Lewis <Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/05/11

In article <3ote71$mj7_at_atlas.bgers.co.uk>

           bainbridge.i_at_bgers.co.uk "Ian Bainbridge" writes:

:
: In article <3otb0p$k3j_at_nova.sti.nasa.gov>, khuguley_at_sti.nasa.gov (Karen
: Huguley) writes:
: ::Is it possible to extract milliseconds from the system date/time?
: ::Seconds are not always granular-enough. Any suggestions?
: ::
:
: Not to my knowledge. Oracle DATE columns only hold times to seconds
: and since SYSDATE is a pseudo DATE column it would appear to be the
: same problem. Pity really since I have had occasions where a finer
: timestamp would have saved me a lot of work.

You may get a little joy from sys.v$timer. This is a virtual table that holds the time (since startup I think) in hundredths of a second.

Still doesn't get you to milliseconds, of course, and if you don't shut your database down every so often you probably get wrap-around problems; but it may be worth a quick look.

--
Jonathan Lewis