Re: CASE 6.0 on Alpha Experiences

From: Bruce MacDonald <Bruce_MacDonald_at_mindlink.bc.ca>
Date: 1995/05/11

In article <3ordrq$sb2_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com>, pbash_at_us.oracle.com says...

>Designer/2000 (CASE v6.0) is a Visual C++ application and consequently only
>executes in MS Windows. It will also be supported in WIN-OS/2 and
>Windows95.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Paul

Thanks for the reply. I probably should have been a little more explicit in my original post. The front end of the new CASE tool (Designer/2000) runs on MS-Windows. However you of course need an Oracle7 instance running on a server somewhere to store all the data. Oracle has moved much of the logic for CASE 6 from the front-end to the DB server by using stored procedures.

This lets you get away with only a 486 with 16MB to run the front-end. The database server machine needs to be a little bit beefier however. For example, the Oracle7 instance on the database server will need a *minimum* SGA size of 24MB (the shared-pool init.ora parameter must be >= 18,000,000).

We are presently running CASE*Dictionary 5.0 on a MicroVAX 3100-80 with 48MB of memory. The Oracle instance is version 6.0.37 and the SGA size is only about 2MB. (We've also got an instance of 7.1.3 with an 8MB SGA running on the same box). Obviously this hardware is going to come up a bit short.

What I'm trying to determine is how much physical memory we are going to need, and how fast an Alpha chip (or chips) to specify to successfully run an Oracle7 instance that will support the new Designer/2000, and handle 4 - 8 developers.

Cheers,

        Bruce

Bruce MacDonald                                Bruce_MacDonald_at_mindlink.bc.ca
Database Consultant
Cornerstone Computer Associates Inc.
Chairperson, Vancouver Oracle Users Group Received on Thu May 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message