Re: Oracle on a PC network?

From: John D Groenveld <groenvel_at_jovial.cse.psu.edu>
Date: 1995/05/11

In article <sgeiser.10.00AEF154_at_omni.voicenet.com> sgeiser_at_omni.voicenet.com (Steve Geiser) writes:
>In article <3mj7dt$ovr_at_elmwood.elmwood.com> btreuman_at_elmwood.com (Bob Treumann) writes:
>> I am considering installing a PC network running oracle on a server,
>> and several workstations running an Oracle forms product.
>> I understand my choices are:
>> Server: Novell
>> Windows NT
>> SCO-Unix

Oracle Workgroup Server runs on...
NT, Netware, SCO, Solaris x86, UnixWare (OS/2 and PowerMac sometime this year)

>> What is the best server for this configuration? Is windows NT
>> stable as an Oracle Server? Where does Workgroup 2000 fit into this?
>> Is it safe to use a single server when the database application is
>> mission critical?

Doubt you'll find many firsthand stories for a product that was only released in January. Oracle has made a definite commitment to supporting workgroups and small departments with a product that is cheaper than Oracle 7 Server, yet still contains the powerful Oracle 7 engine.

>Your (only real) choice is Windows NT. Its not cheap but it is good (at least
>better than most). Is it safe? Is it stable? I would say that it is a
>robust professional environment and with reasonable backups should meet most
>reasonable expectations. Nothing is perfect. Compared to PC databases, its
>the real thing.
>Workgroup 2000 is Windows PC. (Personal Oracle and CDE2 in a new package)

I think you're confused, Workgroup Server is the old Oracle 7 Server repackaged with GUI client and server interfaces. It is pre-tuned and is being marketed as the database that doesnt require a full time DBA. It lacks nice thinks like distributed and parallel option which independent workgroups and small business probably dont need. Again, you have several choices for your OS, go Windows NT if thats the OS you feel most comfortable with.

>This will not be cheap. Personal Oracle, CDE2 (Forms 4.0, Reports, etc) and
>bronze support cost me $2,300. I think Workgroup 2000 is about $3k.
>I do not want to think what Windows NT will cost.

The sheet in front of me says
  $199 per concurrent user on server
  $99 per client
  5 user minimum
Dont quote me on these prices since Oracle seems to be in a price restructuring phase.

>Oracle is not the sort of thing that you can casually walk into. There is a
>reason that good a DBA goes for a good price.

Agreed!

John
groenvel_at_cse.psu.edu Received on Thu May 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message