Archiver error

From: Wei Ho <etlwihe_at_etlxdmx.ericsson.se>
Date: 1995/05/10

Hello people

I have encounted a problem during a test. In this test, I have a simple table 'tmp' contains a single column. The table is stored in the tablespace 'USERS'. There are two datafiles user01.dbf (500K) and users02.dbf (1M) for this tablespace. After the first row inserted into tmp, I did

insert into tmp select * from tmp;

many times. Meanwhile, I watched the archiver file grown in numbers. At the stage when I expect an error message, like 'failed to allocate extent of size xxx in tablespace 'USERS'', the SQL statement 'insert into tmp select * from tmp;' stayed on forever.

At the same time, the last archiver file grew up and shrink in size in a circular fashion, i.e. 0 -> 203376 -> 0 -> 203376 -> ... . When I tried to login to database, it said

ERROR: ORA-00257: archiver error. Connect internal only, until freed.

Anyone overthere get a clue what problem this is?

Wei Received on Wed May 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message