Re: Table Lock on Select for Update?

From: Doug Thomson <thomson_at_phoenix.fs.com>
Date: 1995/05/10

V7 Server Concepts Manual, page 10-4:

"Oracle never escalates locks".

that chapter should help.

Doug Thomson

BJSIEBEN_at_bcsc02.gov.bc.ca wrote:
: If anyone can confirm what I've heard about Select for Update. What I
: heard was: when the select for update is issued, Oracle locks the row(s)
: in the select, but when the actual update occuer (ie. update....) Oracle
: will lock the entire table while the actual update is happening.
:
: Has anyone else heard this? I find it hard to believe the entire table
: is locked for the brief time the actual update occurs. We are using
: Oracle7 on AIX.
:
: .....Barry Sieben

Doug Thomson       Fourth Shift Corp.   (software developer)
(612) 851-1471     Minneapolis, Minnesota   USA