Re: Oracle CDROM Install

From: Youri N. Podchosov <ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net>
Date: 1995/05/07

In article <3og3rv$t4o_at_chaos.dac.neu.edu>, jglickma_at_lynx.dac.neu.edu (jon glickman) writes:
|> Does anybody have any advice on how to install Oracle 7.14-6 from a
|> CDROM on a AIX platform. My friend said after he linked the directory
|> to the rom drive they had trouble. Instead of reading the install manual
|> they read the little booklet that comes with the cdrom. On sun platform
|> the Oracle Dba that installed our financials mounted the drive and went
|> into the orainst and executed ./orainst ... When he mounted the appl
|> cdrom he did a cpio to a staging area... I don't remember if he linked
|> the drive or not... Any tips on installing from cdrom on a IBM AIX
|> platform would greatly be appreciated...

My experience comes from SCO UNIX/ODT, but I'm pretty sure the basic technique of installation from CD ROM is the same.

After mounting the CD ROM, you need to start a small program called start.sh: its purpose is to in part copy but mostly soft-link the entire CD ROM tree structure under the staging area directory (which is to be created in advance). Only then you may first install the orainst itself and then start it to install the rest.

| Youri N. Podchosov (ynp) *** Davidsohn & Son, Inc. NYC *** 718-234-4140 | | Internet: ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net CIS: 72723,2202 AOL: ynp, yourip |