Re: FRM-40508 Error ?

From: Vish Gopalan <vgopalan_at_borg24.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1995/05/06

Stan Novinsky <stan_novinsky_at_jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> On a FORM I have a Block that contains 6 records that I am
> attempting to commit to the database. The block is defined with
> the INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, QUERY attributes on. When I execute the
> COMMIT, I receive
>
> FRM-40508: ORACLE error-- unable to INSERT record.
>
> However, if I execute an INSERT and COMMIT from SQLPLUS outside
> of the FORM, it works fine.
>
> This Forms 4.0, Oracle7.1, OpenVMS 6.1.
>
> Any Ideas..

I'm assuming that doing a DISPLAY will also show an additional error: ORA-1478 - array bind may not include any long columns. If you are running Forms 4.0.13, then I know of a change of behavior (from Forms 4.0.12) that explains your problem. If you have any character item of length 2000 in your form, you must reduce the size to 1999. Note that you do not need to make any database changes (e.g. column length). I'm think Forms 4.0.13 is padding the item value with a terminator (e.g. null char).

Note that, if you are running Forms 4.0.12, you will not have any problem with character items of length 2000 in form. You may want to review the Release notes for Forms 4.0.13 for full info on changes.

                                  """
                                 (o o)
|                             Vish Gopalan                             |
|                         Information Systems                          |
|                      Architecture & Integration                      |
|                   International Space Station, NASA                  |
| E-mail: vgopalan_at_borg24.jsc.nasa.gov           Phone: (713) 280-7473 |