Re: reading oracle dumps

From: Michael Wildpaner <mike_at_rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at>
Date: 1995/05/06

Chris Hubble (chubble_at_pcug.org.au) wrote: : In article <3oa08k$69v_at_news.tuwien.ac.at> mike_at_rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at (Michael Wildpaner) writes:

: >To get Oracle-Data into another database (without SQL*net being available on

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

: >the client machine), we're trying to export a database (on a Novell Server)
: >into a dump, ftp the dump and update our database.

: >Is there any description of the Oracle dump format ? As far as we've seen,
: >in front of each field there is it's length encoded, but no idea about the
: >header.

: The ftp of an Oracle export file followed by an import (imp) will do the job.

: Don't worry about the format, you don't need it.

: >PS: We would also appreciate any pointers to a more elegant method to query
: > a novell-oracle database via tcpip. The clients will be linux machines.

: The most elegant way is to use SQL*Net. Check the manuals.

Maybe I didn't explain our problem clearly enough. There is no supported Oracle available on the client-machines (running linux), and the destination database will be Postgres or msql (we haven't decided yet).

Of cource I would appreciate a port of SQL*Net and the c-development libs et al. to linux, but that won't happen in the near future.

--
One day you wake up                                          Michael Wildpaner
And all the pain you've given out gets returned                     Student at