Re: Oracle 7.1.4 startup problems

From: Gary Kirsh <gkirsh_at_news.dorsai.org>
Date: 1995/05/05

David Taylor (david.taylor_at_che.gatech.edu) wrote: X-Newsreader: TIN [version 1.2 PL2]

: I've been seeing an error in my alert log that occurs during startup.
: The system is currently in a development mode and not open for general
: use so, since things seem to work properly for those using it, I have
: left the problem be for the time. I am, however, moving towards
: having the system open for general use, and I need to find out if
: this problem is going to bite me or not.

: The alert log reports the following during startup:
: Thu May 4 10:55:15 1995
: starting up 1 shared server(s) ...
: starting up 3 dispatcher(s) for network protocol 'tcp'...
: Thu May 4 10:55:18 1995
: dispatcher 'D000' encountered error connecting to listener
: Thu May 4 10:55:20 1995
: dispatcher 'D001' encountered error connecting to listener
: Thu May 4 10:55:22 1995
: dispatcher 'D002' encountered error connecting to listener
: Thu May 4 10:55:24 1995
: alter database mount exclusive
: Thu May 4 10:55:25 1995

: I've looked through my docs and such, but have not been able to find
: anything about this (may be due to an incomplete doc set since I'm on
: a site license with limited access to docs, but oh well....). I've
: consulted a number of people on campus with some Oracle experience,
: but to no avail... Has anyone out there seen this before? If so, is
: there a fix?

: If you need further info to make a call, let me know....

: Thanks in advance

: -David Taylor

: Here is the system info that may be of use:
: DECstation 5000/200
: 72 MB RAM
: Ultrix 4.4 Rev. 69
: Oracle 7.1.4
: Using SQL*net tcp connection (no DECNet) supporting V1 and V2
: (These work as I use the connections from a Windows NT box and
: have used them from other Unix boxes)

: Here is the init file for the database:
: ***********************************************************
: checkpoint_process = true
: db_domain = CFD.CHEMSE.GATECH.EDU
: db_name = DEVELOP
: db_files = 400
: db_file_multiblock_read_count = 16
: db_block_buffers = 550
: shared_pool_size = 9000000
: log_checkpoint_interval = 10000
: processes = 100
: dml_locks = 700
: enqueue_resources = 900
: open_cursors = 300
: log_buffer = 32768
: sequence_cache_entries = 30
: sequence_cache_hash_buckets = 23
: timed_statistics = true
: max_dump_file_size = 10240
: log_archive_start = true
: enqueue_resources = 1000
: license_max_sessions = 40
: control_files = /usr/oracle/control/controldevelop.ora, \
: /var/oracle/control/controldevelop.ora, \
: /db01/oracle/control/controldevelop.ora, \
: /cfd2/oracle/control/controldevelop.ora
: rollback_segments = (rbs01, rbs02, rbs03, rbs04, rbs05)
: mts_listener_address = "(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp) (PORT=5000) (HOST=CFD))"
: mts_service = develop
: mts_dispatchers = "tcp, 3"
: mts_max_dispatchers = 6
: mts_servers = 1
: mts_max_servers = 5

David,
These errors mean there is something wrong with you Multi-Threaded Server setup. If you comment out all the MTS_ parameters in the init.ora, the errors should stop. Of course if you want to use MTS, you need to track down the problem. Are you sure SQL*Net V2 works - have you explicitely connected using a V2 connect string?
Gary

--
Gary Kirsh
Next Extent, Inc.