Re: CDE2 Rip-off

From: Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: 1995/05/05

In article <bobr-0405951737160001_at_annie.sonica.com>, Bob Rosales <bobr_at_sonica.com> wrote:
>We bought CDE2 Tools a few months to develop our commercial
>Oracle application. We were using Forms 3.0 and we decided that
>we would goto a GUI interface. We chose CDE2 Tools over Powerbuilder
>because we were loyal Oracle developers.
>
>CDE2 Tools has many bugs in it. But with all software, we learn to
>work our way around the problems. We delivered applications
>six years ago on Oracle6 so nothing can be worse than that
>experience. All we want from Oracle is support and periodic
>releases to fix the bugs.
>
>We are now getting ripped off. We have been told that in
>order to get 4.5.6 that we have to upgrade to Developer 2000.
>In order to upgrade to Developer 2000 we have to pay the difference
>in support from CDE2 Tools ($600) to Developer 2000 ($4000).
>
>WE HAVE TO PAY AN EXTRA $3400 JUST TO GET THE BUGS FIXED!!!!!
>
>All we want is windows based forms and reports. We can care less
>about all of the other whistles and bells. We can even care less
>about the free run times since our customers have to pay to put
>SQLNET on each machine anyway.
>
>WE JUST WANT THE YEARS WORTH OF SUPPORT THAT WE PAID FOR ON
>FORMS 4.5 AND REPORTS 4.5.
>
>I am waiting anxiously for Dennis Moore's or Steve Muench's
> response!!!!
>
>--
>bobr_at_sonica.com
>Sonica Software Corporation

If you feel that you are being ripped of then do what we are doing. We now use WWW technology to access oracle/ingres/sybase/... databases. We use perl5, then DBI and miniserver interfaces to created applications is VERY short timescales.

Using oracle and third party tools costs too much in time and money.

All the best,

	Jacqui Caren, Paul Ingram Group, Software systems,
	RDBMS2W3 development
	echo '$a' | adb

--
Jacqui Caren, Paul Ingram Group Ltd. J.Caren_at_ig.co.uk
echo '$a' | adb