Re: 16MB 486SX OK to run PO7?

From: Stephen Newhouse <73147.3563_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1995/05/05

I have a friend who successfully ran PO7 on a 386 with 8mb RAM. The important thing with the system was that you have a BIG virtual memory swap disk (like 30MB). Also he didn't use up any RAM with other drivers (such as SMARTDRV). This points out a problem you'll have, though. Oracle is BIG and 100mb is not enough including the swap file, to do much....but at least you should theoretically be able to start it up.

PO7 has MANY incompatibilities, though. I've had trouble with this thing on a number of platforms, with lots of interesting errors (including not enough memory). Windows drivers from third party software can definitely get in the way (I've got lots of disk, so I actually created a vanilla windows just for use by PO7 on one platform). I've had trouble (inconsistently) with the following: QEMM 7.5, DOS 6.22 (it works on my notebook using 6.22 but won't run on my desktop except in DOS 5.0), Norton Desktop for windows, SCSI drivers (we don't know this one for sure! it is just one of the few parameters left in one case - in another, the SCSI driver worked just fine).
Anyway, my suggestion is not to give up yet unless you don't really need this thing, in which case, I suggest you just wait for a version or two - Oracle is notorious for their apathy regarding early release bugs. Received on Fri May 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message