Re: Workgroup Server vs. Enterprise Server

From: Edward Stouffer <stouffer_at_clark.net>
Date: 1995/05/05

In article <3obmu3$qp6_at_news1.wolfe.net>, David Harlan <harlan_at_canyon.com> wrote:

> Can someone tell me definitively the difference between these two
 products? I talked
> Oracle and they said the only functional difference was that the WS was
 not capable
> of doing distributed databases.
>
> Is there something I'm missing? Can I still access it from Unix and
 Windows clients?

> Thanks,
>
> Dave Harlan

Oracle has told us the same thing. We are installing the Oracle WG2000 svr on NT tomorrow. I have downloaded the test version and it includes DOS and Windows clients, so I foresee no problems initially. From a positioning standpoint, Oracle is trying to offset the success of SQL Server by essentially offering their product at a lower price point.

Frankly, if you put WG2000 on a 4 processor DEC Alpha, why would you need the distributed ability if it can do 1,000 tps? (Unless your org is VERY large). But, running in distributed mode really sucks winds from a performance standpoint.

From the desktop side, the new Power Objects will attempt to beat out VB as a development platform and give Power Builder and SQLWindows a run for their money.

Ed

(a new Oracle reseller)

--
...the decline of the American Civilization...stay tuned

--the opinions expressed herein are my own (probably)--