Re: Using Oracle 6 and Oracle 7 simultaneously

From: Mike Rife <rife_at_aarlo.moffitt.usf.edu>
Date: 1995/05/04

In article <9505031501.AA19396_at_yew.sti.jrc.it>, joaquim.capitao_at_jrc.it (Joaquim Areia Capitao) says:

>Dear all,
>
>We have installed Oracle 7 a few weeks ago (version 7.0.15.4.0) and are
>transferring our Oracle 6 applications to the new version. At the same time,
>however, some of the users want to continue using the old version until
>they are confident that the new one is up and running.
>
>If we start Oracle 6 first and then Oracle 7, every time we try to open an
>instance with Oracle 7 we get error ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable
>to get first semaphore set.
>
>The same thing happens when we open an instance with Oracle 6 if version 6
>was started after version 7.
>
>What does this mean? Is it impossible to have both versions running in the
>same machine? We use a Sun Sparcstation with SunOS 4.1.4.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Joaquim Areia Capitao
>joaquim.capitao_at_jrc.it

Yes, it is possible to run both versions at the same time. You need to allocate more semaphors. You do not have enough to support 2 databases running at once. To determine the number of semaphors allocated do an "ipcs -a" and look at the semaphors section:

$ ipcs -a

... other stuff removed ...

T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP  CREATOR   CGROUP NSEMS   OTIME    CTIME
Semaphores:
s    300 0x00000000 --ra-r-----   oracle      dba   oracle      dba   200  1:18:30  1:18:13
s    301 0x00000000 --ra-r-----   oracle      dba   oracle      dba   200  1:18:42  1:18:29
s    302 0x00000000 --ra-r-----   oracle      dba   oracle      dba   200  1:18:56  1:18:42
$

We have 3 databases with 200 semaphors allocated to each.

You need to look at the OS's kernal parameter settings for SEMMNI, SEMMSL, SEMMNS, and SEMNU. These are explained in the Oracle7 Server for UNIX Administrator's Reference Guide, page 2-23, along with the Oracle documention specific to your OS. Received on Thu May 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message