Re: Need help to run long queries!

From: (wrong string) øren Bay Clausen <sbc_at_fih.dk>
Date: 1995/05/04

In article <3o890d$iuo_at_news.fmso.navy.mil>, James_F_Davis_at_NSLC.FMSO.NAVY.MIL says:

>We maintain a large database, which is accessed from a report tool we wrote
>in Powerbuilder. Some of the reports that can be generated can take hours
>to create. We don't want the user's PC tied up that long waiting for the result.
>What we would like to do is start a query which writes the result to a table.
>The user can log on later and get the report. The problem is how to start a
>query, let the user disconnect and the query to continue to run. Any help would
>be appreciated.

If you are using ORACLE V7 you can use snapshot to create the most complex SQL statements as tables, and then later on access them.

We are running a job every night to summarize at lot of numbers, at then when oure users logon in the morning the can access the table at get their totals without any delay.

Best regards
SBC Received on Thu May 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message