Re: BOM explosion info wanted

From: Rick Rutt <rrutt_at_delphi.com>
Date: 1995/05/04

Tom Gillespie <tgillesp_at_ms13.mis.semi.harris.com> writes:

>Does anyone have any info on doing recursive Bill of Material (BOM)
>type explosion using ORACLE triggers ? Actually I want to do a
>manufacturing lot geneology tracing program using recursive
>triggers. I have a proto-type that I wrote using Ingres rules
>that works, but I'm having problems porting it to ORACLE.

Forget about the triggers, and use a long-standing feature of Oracle's SQL to do the explosion. Use the START WITH and CONNECT BY clauses of the SELECT statement. Also read about the LEVEL pseudocolumn to obtain the "depth" in the tree for each selected record.

  • Rick --

(Rick Rutt is a system architect living and working in Midland, Michigan.) Received on Thu May 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message