Re: Help! Error: ORA-01034: Oracle Not Available

From: William Ainsworth <wha_at_netaxs.com>
Date: 1995/05/03

Brian Rankin (brankin_at_fwl.org) wrote:
: Hello,

: I've just inherited an Oracle system running on SunOS 4.1.3. One of our web
: pages is using a cgi script to access the Oracle database, and it is suddenly
: generating this error:

: ORA-01034: Oracle Not Available.

: I've looked in the script - the script is failing on this command:

: exec sqlplus -s airs/jordon

: What does this mean? How do I proceed to troubleshooting the problem? Any
: information _greatly_ appreciated.

: Sincerely,

: Brian Rankin
: email: brankin_at_fwl.org

The database is probably not running. You can check this by running a ps -ef | grep ora and looking for the following processes:

ora_pmon_XXXX
ora_dbwr_XXXX
ora_lgwr_XXXX
ora_smon_XXXX
ora_reco_XXXX

{where XXXX is the name of the database} If you do not see these, then simply log in as Oracle (or su to it) and type the command: sqldba
at the prompt type: startup
Then quit or exit out. This will start up the database. Hope this helps you.
--
   WWW   WWW
   | |   | |   Bill Ainsworth
   |       |