Re: Oracle Financials 10.5

From: Lisa Roderick <roderick_at_eps.enet.dec.com>
Date: 1995/05/03

In article <3o39hf$56m$1_at_mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, 76443.2751_at_CompuServe.COM says...

>We are currently in the early stages of planning our upgrade from
>v9.42 to v10.5 of the Apps (and from 7.0.16 to 7.1.6 of the
>rdbms). What will the impact be on the size of our database ??
>(It is curently around 5GB - we run AP, FA, GL, INV, PO, and
>Personnel). I have heard some reports of 50% increases!! Should
>we start buying disks now??
>Also, what about the SGA? We currently have our shared pool size
>at 14mb, db_block_buffers at 20mb...Should we start buying memory
>now ??
>
>Thanks !!
>
>--
>eieio

It's true. Not only will your disk space grow (it depends on many factors, including your platform and the size of your current database), but your CPU needs will increase 50 to 70 or even 100% depending on the amount of background activity and concurrent managers you run (namely FSG reporting). This appears to be across many if not all platforms. Some platforms (Sequent) saw memory use go up, but I didn't on Digital UNIX (formerly DEC OSF/1) on our Alpha platforms.

With Release 10, Oracle Apps engineering recommends that you pin the Apps PL/SQL packages. This requires 80 MB in the shared pool, so you can expect to add that to your totaly SGA use. The pinning procedure is documented in the Apps Installation Guide, but the 80 MB recommendation isn't documented.

--
Lisa Roderick
Applications Systems Engineering Performance Group