Re: concealing system password from AIX ps

From: John Blackburn <jb2_at_qdot.qld.gov.au>
Date: 1995/05/02

tritt_g_at_gw2.admin.ch wrote:
> We have a problem protecting the information of
> system or sys passwords when we use scripts
> with SQL*Plus.

> With exp and imp we can at least use a parameter file.

> On our AIX machines the UNIX command ps ef
> returns the parameters to every command, so
> anyone can see sqlplus system/manager
> (that's not really our password)
> Other ps on other machines don't have this "feature",
> according to Oracle support.

> Has anyone a solution? It should be easy ...

This needs to be in the Oracle FAQ as this question seems to be asked once or twice a week.

(BTW, where is the Oracle FAQ stored and/or Maintained?)

--

John Blackburn                                          Phone: +61 7 2534634
jb2_at_qdot.qld.gov.au                                     Fax:   +61 7 8541194