Re: PLEASE HELP! how to delete columns ...

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>
Date: 1995/05/02

In article <1995May1.113615.91879_at_kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mahesh_at_tisl.ukans.edu (Rachakonda Satya) writes:

 ...text deleted

>Now, I want to delete a few columns from the data definition itself.
>I see that either ALTER TABLE or DROP would not work. Can somebody
>please help me with this?
>
>...text deleted
>University of Kansas, Lawrence off: (913) 864-7374
>mahesh_at_cecase.ukans.edu fax: (913) 864-7789

Whenever you create a table, store the SQL so you can reuse it.

We ALWAYS store the SQL used to create a table. In the development of a new system, it is a regular occurrence that columns are added or dropped, keys and constraints are changed, storage parameters are changed, etc.

It is a simple matter, to edit the SQL to create the table, and then run a batch (background) job to drop and re-create the table.

The same job can be run by several developers of the system, so they each have a current version of the table to use in thier testing environment.

Hope this helps. Received on Tue May 02 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message