Re: Oracle 7 performace?

From: Jeff Gentry <jgentry_at_dbintellect.com>
Date: 1995/05/01

> >Corporate policy issues aside, OSF (Alpha's OS) is not nearly as
> >mature as AIX or even Solaris; thus Alpha is not as stable a platform.
> >
> ><donning flame protection>
>
> And it's stable. Maturity doesn't always equal stability. 64-bit is the future in
> database computing. Otherwise Oracle wouldn't invest their time on it. And
> Oracle's CEO Larry Ellison wouldn't stand up with Digital's CEO Bob Palmer two
> weeks ago and announce he was going to run Oracle's business on Alpha.

I have supported Sun, IBM RS/6000, ATT, HP, Pyramid, and DEC OSF/1 (OS as well as databases). I am not rushing to recommend the DEC OSF/1 operating environment, but I can say that it is one of the more stable environments I have worked with. I have concerns about this platform as a strategic direction, but not due to lack of stability.

Jeff Gentry
Systems Consultant
dbINTELLECT Technologies
Plano, Texas, USA
jgentry_at_dbintellect.com

Disclaimer: Stated opinions are personal and

             not necessarily held by my employer. Received on Mon May 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message