Re: ORACLE 7.1.4 install errors on HP/UX

From: Alan J. Heckman <aheckman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/04/28

Robert O'Briant (robriant_at_clc.gmeds.com) wrote:
> In article <D7C9or.2xq_at_inter.NL.net>, Kees Verruijt <kees_at_redwood.nl> says:
> >

> >> Anyone receive the following errors in the install.log file when installing
> >> ORACLE 7.1.4 on a HP/UX system?
> >>
> >> ln osntab.c osntabst.c
> >> cc -I. -O -D_HPUX_SOURCE +ESsfc +ESlit -c osntab.c
> >> cc: warning 422: Unknown option "O" ignored.
> >> cc: warning 422: Unknown option "s" ignored.
> >> cc: warning 422: Unknown option "s" ignored.
> >> cc: warning 422: Unknown option "f" ignored.
> >> cc: warning 422: Unknown option "c" ignored.
> >> cc: warning 422: Unknown option "s" ignored.
> >> cc: warning 422: Unknown option "l" ignored.
> >> cc: warning 422: Unknown option "i" ignored.
> >> cc: warning 422: Unknown option "t" ignored.

> For your information, we experienced the same problem when installing 7.1.4
> on our HP-T500. The standard C compiler cc that came with basic HP-UX 9.04
> was a subset of their standard ANSI C compiler. It's version number was A.9.19
> or something in that range. We purchased the ANSI C compiler that brought us
> to the full C compiler. (Version A.9.61). According to the install documentation
> you must have at least version A.9.31? or greater. - It would be nice if Oracle
> told you in their requirements documentation that this version number was for their
> full ANSI C compiler. They don't. They let you find out the hard way then
> go out and purchase it after the fact. - Compiling with the new version on our
> T500 (an MPC server) appeared to provide better performance. (The install scripts
> ran faster and it resolved these warnings). We did not run the database with the
> old C compiler so can not state if you will have any problems.

You do not need the ANSI C compiler to install Oracle. The "-O +ESsfc +ESlit" are options we use in compiling. (Optimization, plus putting literals into read-only memory - nothing for the linker.) They aren't really needed for compiling osntab.c since this is a small stub that just lets Oracle know which SQL*Net V1 network protocols to link in. They are also not needed for any relinking. The stripped down C compiler issues warnings, but they can be ignored.

If you can't stand the warning messages you can edit ?/rdbms/lib/oracle.mk and change the CFLAGS from: CFLAGS=-I. -O -D_HPUX_SOURCE +ESsfc +ESlit to:
CFLAGS=-I. -D_HPUX_SOURCE You need the X libraries if you relink Motif applications.

| Alan J. Heckman         Key fingerprint =  71 BA B2 E8 EF AA 65 3A |
| aheckman_at_us.oracle.com                     23 5D 1C 0E B8 79 70 03 |