Re: graphical table on cdrom

From: Guy Cox <cox2_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/04/28

In <1995Apr26.111500.25763_at_pat.uwe.ac.uk> lm-gardn_at_uwe.ac.uk (LM Gardner) writes:

>Hi all
>
>I have a requirement to store photographic images in Oracle. I
>am considering storing the Oracle table on a CDROM disk. Questions:
>
>1. Can Oracle 7 store graphical images? If so, what formats
>
>2. What is involved in having an Oracle table on a CDROM disk?
>
>3. What is the speed of retrival like when accessing data on a CDROM?
>
>4. What Oracle tools would be needed to develop an application which
>accesses graphical/photo images (ie. reports, data viewing, etc.)?
>
>Major amounts of TIA
>
>Leigh Gardner
>Hycalog

  1. Yes you can store graphical images in Oracle. ( LONG RAW ).
  2. You have to handle the movement of the values back to your graphics program. b.The easy way to do this is to use a front-end Access, Delphi, VB, etc that is OLE aware. Create an OLE control on the form that you want to display the graphics data. Depending upon the attributes you use on the front-end's form you'll see either a thumbnail or the available upperleft corner. If you then double click on the image the application will start and you'll be able to manipulate the image as if you had pulled it from the local file system rather than Oracle.
  3. See no reason why this couldn't be done. Create a table space in Oracle and have it point to the Oracle data files which you have created containing the images and then "blasted onto the CD-ROM"
  4. I see that some new 6X CD-ROM were advertised last week... depends on the drive and the interface.
  5. See number 1. If you use MS-Windows it's a piece of pie.