Re: AlphaStation 250 with Arc/Info and Oracle?

From: Lisa Roderick <roderick_at_eps.enet.dec.com>
Date: 1995/04/27

In article <wtfxstonD7nJFr.JGw_at_netcom.com>, wtfxston_at_netcom.com says...

>We are thinking of buying an AlphaStation 250 running
>Digital Unix (OSF/1). This system will have at least 128MB
>of memory and 30GB of disk storage. On it we would like to
>run ARC/Info (a GIS from ESRI) and Oracle. Arc/Info will
>probably have 2 or three users (1 local 2+ X-Terminals) and
>Oracle will be the database server to about 30 clients
>(mostly networked PC's). Is anyone out there using ARC/Info
>and Oracle together on the same machine? Is this a suitable
>configuration for these tasks (over or under kill)? Any
>words of wisdom on this subject?
>Thanx
>Todd F
>SFEI

Todd, I have no experience with ESRI. However, 128 MB of memory on the AlphaStation is cutting it close and might not be enough. Digital UNIX requires about 35 MB or memory, and the smallest Oracle SGA you'd want to consider is 40 MB. You might need it to be higher depending on your cache hit rates and whether or not the application pins PL/SQL packages in the shared pool. Each user will consume memory as well. Are you running other applications on the system? Are the X terms loaded from an Infoserver or from the AlphaServer? You need to take into account the CPU and memory needs of other applications.

Is the maximum memory configuration for the AlphaStation 250 192 MB? My web server is down and I can't look it up.

The AlphaStation 250 should have the CPU horsepower you'll need for an Oracle database, but memory is an issue. Send me mail for other configurations, if you like.

--
Lisa Roderick
Applications Systems Engineering Performance Group