Table/Index Fragmentation

From: <jpope_at_mojo.europe.dg.com>
Date: 1995/04/27

I'm looking for some detailed info on looking into table and index fragmentation in Oracle 7.1.

I know that tables will keep emptied blocks in a table, and reuse them when new rows are added - I know how to use the rowid to check which blocks are actually filled - but how about the index??

Take a scenario where we add 500,000 rows to a table, then delete 100,000, then add a further 100,000, and repeat this cycle. The rows are always added with the primary key as a sequence - and the index is on the sequence number. How does this affect the branch and leaf nodes in the index??

Any info gratefully received ....

Jon Pope.

--
Jon Pope email:	jpope_at_mojo.europe.dg.com