Re: Runaway shadow processes (HP9000)

From: Mac <cs91dnm_at_brunel.ac.uk>
Date: 1995/04/27

In article <3nbls3$of_at_panix.com>, George Reichert <gmr_at_panix.com> wrote:

>In article <1995Apr21.104914.762_at_cho006>,  <kenp_at_po3.net.cho.ge.com> wrote:

>>We are encountering runaway user shadow processes for
>>disconnected users. We are running Oracle 7.0.16 on a HP9000.
>>SqlNet version 1 is being used so we have a shadow process
>>for all user sessions.
>>
>>Any suggestions or similar experiences ?

Yup, we have a similar problem on a Silicon Graphics box (7.0.15), every so often we get an oracle shadow proceess and an associated runmenu50 process left behind. The runmenu50 process sits on one of the 4 procssors eating it all (99.5%)

Our best guess is that might be associated with forced shutdowns of runmneu as opposed to propper quiting. Anyway they both end up with PPID of 1, but if the runmenu50 is killed then the shadow process dies (not vice versa).

Help appreciated asap.

--
                        David 'Mac' McCann

Computer Science Yr4                          Mill Small Rm 019
Students Union Court Member              Drop in if you're passing
                   Tel: 0956 237670 (any time)